Tuesday, May 19, 2020

WWII Landing Craft

I bought some slightly oversized landing craft, three LCVP's (Landing Craft Vehicle/Personnel) and three Amtrac LVT's (Landing Vehicle Tracked) a couple years ago to do some WWII Pacific beach assaults or landing scenarios.  They were made by BMC and are supposed to be 1:32 (vs 1:54 for 28mm), and would be used with the wonderful little green Marx plastic army men of our childhood.

The LCVP's are actually pretty close to being normal and look good, as I think they actually held about 28 troops, and the alleged scale ones by Warlord only hold maybe 10 or so with bases.  The LVTs definitely look a bit on the large side.

I finally got around to painting mine up.  Still have one LCVP to do.  Decided a fairly plain color scheme, and applied Vallejo Extra Dark Green with an airbrush over black primer for the base coat.  I then went back and dry-brushed Vallejo Green Grey to tone it down and weather it.  Simple black treads on the LVT's, and some Vallejo Gunmetal Grey on the guns.  Nothing fancy.  I may add a few extra details like the ropes, inboard life preserver rings, and rope on the back deck.  I really liked the effect and will likely go with that combination for my allied jungle uniforms in the future.

I did buy a blister pack of Warlord LCVP Machine Gun crew (4 figs) which is perfect for two LCVP's, so guess one will go without or go just one gun crewman on two of them.  I'll get those painted, drill out the stub-ups on the back end where those should go, and get them mounted in the near future.  A quick couple evenings of painting.  Need a few decals though to put some numbers on all the vehicles.

Here they be:
Amtrac LVT's

LCVP's
 

No comments:

Post a Comment